SLIDER

20 something wannabe millionaire

February 13, 2013

Yes, you read the title right. This isn't a joke, I swear!  I have decided to try and become a millionaire before I hit the old age of 30.  Now I know exactly what you are thinking.  Yes, this sounds like a crazy idea.  Yes, the chances of achieving this goal are slim. Yes, I understand what I'm getting myself into.

I know this wasn't the topic of my blog before, so I am shortly going to do a whole reconstruction of it. I may throw in a random unrelated story now and then, who knows!

Continuing on, let me explain my reasoning behind my decision to do this.  I have always considered myself fairly money savvy; my mom taught me right from the beginning.  I have always had an interest in money and the idea or potential it could bring.  To add to that, I have also had a passion for writing since I was a wee one. I am by no means a Charles Dickens, and my grammar could without a doubt use some work.   That being said, my love for sharing words and thoughts doesn't change.  Thus, the idea to share my journey to become a millionaire before I'm 30 is born.

Now, let me give you some background on myself.  I am a 23 year old living in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.  I have been living on my own since I was 20 and pretty much started my life after college with student debt and zero savings.  Between the age of 20 and 23 I have tackled a majority of my debt and have started creating savings for myself to one day buy my own house. I live in an apartment by myself and I am completely independent, not getting outside help which is what I prefer.  I have a full-time job as well as a part-time job, and I would consider myself a workaholic, which I'm okay with, because I love what I do!

With all that being said, I'm not going to consider my full net worth part of my journey to become a millionaire.  My car, my future house, and all my other belongings will not go towards the total. This is strictly just savings.

I realize this is an insane goal and I only have 8 years to achieve it.  I going to do everything I can to reach this target. I am also looking at this as an opportunity to learn more about personal finance, organize my life and create a comfortable future for myself, whether I reach my goal or not. Plus, writing about my experience along the way might help someone else achieve their personal and financial goals and that in itself is all the reasoning I need to start this challenge.

Lastly, critics of my journey are welcome. I will never be one to turn away advice, second opinions or negative feedback.  I use that as motivation and I want to create a means of discussion on the whole idea of personal finance.

Wish me luck everyone...

4 comments :

  1. good job Shwiss!! This site might be inspirational to get you started or give you boost, it has great financial advice/planning and tips from other incredibly independent and smart women! :)
    ps. can we start a money group??

    smartcookies.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We should start a money group! Great website by the way. I'll definitely be checking that one out quite a bit.

      Delete